Common Toxins and Their Effects on Our Bodies
Toxins are poisonous substances that are either produced by the body or introduced into the body. Toxins cause disturbance to chemical and biological processes and often lead to health problems when left to accumulate in our bodies. In everyday life, you’re exposed to numerous toxins via the products you consume, the places you go, the activities you engage in as well as the food you eat.
Some common toxins include formaldehyde, which is used to cure foam and furniture and is also found in some paneling, wallpapers, photocopy toners, and new fabric. Bisphenol-A (BPA) is yet another common toxin that is found in plastic containers of common foods and beverages, including bottled water and canned fruits and vegetables.
Benzenes and propyl alcohol are also toxic. Propyl alcohol is found in carbonated beverages, rubbing alcohol, shampoo, mouthwash, and white sugar. Cooking oils, cold cereals, flavored foods, and toothpaste contain benzenes.
How Toxins Affect Our Bodies
Toxins interfere with normal body physiological processes, thus resulting in compromised health and long-term complications. In particular, toxins affect our bodies by:
- Poisoning enzymes. Enzymes are essential components of biological processes. Without enzymes, processes such as digestion are adversely impacted.
- Damaging organs. Organs that are exposed to toxins for an extended period may suffer failure. In particular, organs such as the liver, kidneys, and digestive tract may suffer permanent damage, leading to chronic health problems.
- Mimicking hormones, thus causing an imbalance. An example is the highly dangerous Arsenic, which blocks thyroid hormone receptors, resulting in extreme fatigue.
- Impairing your detox system. Toxins take hold in your body by damaging your body’s natural detoxification systems. The higher the toxic load in your body, the harder it is for your body to expel toxins from your body. As such, restoring your body’s detox organs is a crucial first step in eliminating toxins from your systems.
How to Avoid Toxins
Even though we are surrounded by toxins in our everyday lives, we’re not entirely helpless. You can take steps to prevent exposure to these toxins and, in doing so, safeguard your health and well-being.
Some of the simple and practical yet powerful ways you can protect yourself against toxins include:
- Detox your diet by paying attention to what you’re buying. Some toxins are cunningly disguised as harmless ingredients in your everyday foods and beverages. Where possible, buy organic foods.
- Keep your organs healthy and active by cutting back on processed foods.
- Drink enough water and eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Get rid of toxic household goods that are disguised as cosmetic products, cleaning agents, bleach, etc.
- Take your supplements.
- Keep your core healthy by scheduling regular chiropractic adjustments. When your body is in top form, you’re in a better position to fight toxicity.